[HanoiLUG] [NEWS] Michael Meeks Says OO.o Project is "Profoundly Sick"

Phuong Vo clarious at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 22:53:36 ICT 2008

2008/12/29 David Tremblay <david at ngowiki.net>:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Phuong Vo <clarious at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Link: http://www.gnome.org/~michael/blog/ooo-commit-stats-2008.html
>> (via slashdot)
>>
>> At the end of the post he point to go-oo, which is a forked version of
>> OO.o with community patch.
>>
>> Another interesting office suite would be KOffice, though it is not
>> realy completed yet.
>

> Very interesting
>
> That is something people have been seeing happening for a while, and I have
> been hearing such complaint from many point of view including companies -
> IBM, NOVELL, involved.  OpenOffice is indeed a free and open source software
> because of the licence but not in the practical coding and development. Most
> free and open source software projet runs because people who do take the
> decisions and people who do well take most important decision. Sometimes
> when the community gets bigger, there's a need to organize the project,
> successful project such as ubuntu or mozilla, have pushed the mix
> "meritocracy + community organization" very far.
>
> For such a project as OpenOffice who has a huge code base forking may not be
> a feasible thing, however the other is giving some hint about what could be
> done :
>
> " ... I would argue that in order to kick-start the project, there is
> broadly a two step remedy:
>
> Kill the ossified, paralysed and gerrymandered political system in OO.o.
> Instead put the developers (all of them), and those actively contributing
> into the driving seat. This in turn should help to kill the many horribly
> demotivating and dysfunctional process steps currently used to stop code
> from getting included, and should help to attract volunteers. Once they are
> attracted and active, listen to them without patronizing.
> Distance the project from Sun: perhaps less branding, certainly less
> top-down control, reduce the requirement to 'share' all your rights over to
> Sun before you can contribute to the project. Better still, share ownership
> of the code with a non-profit foundation to guarantee stability and an
> independent future for the code-base."
>
> and he really captures why there's so much good FOSS out there :
>
> " but in the end-game, without a focus on developers, and making OO.o truly
> fair and fun to contribute to - any amount of spin will not end up selling a
> dying horse."
>
> If you want your baby to be prosperous then  you have to let leave the
> house. Please Sun free OpenOffice before it dies
>

> --
> David Tremblay
>
> IT analyst
> mob: 418-208-3631
> jabber: ict4ngo
> skype : ict4ngo
>
> Blog : http://blog.ngowiki.net

Talk about Sun, I heard that Sun also offer another office suite named
StarOffice, which Open Office is derived from, maybe this has
something to do with Sun strict control over OpenOffice, many
developers have offered patch for OpenOffice, but Sun rejected them
and wrote it their own.

 And lately Sun has invested more and more into OSS software like
MySQL, OpenSolaris etc.. while this is a good sign, I don't think
those projects has the advantages of an OSS one.  :(

Also, go-oo is sponsored by Novell, but Novell haven't invested much
into it, and it doesn't got much attention from developers either. :(
Really, we need a good free office suite for linux.

2008/12/29 Jean Christophe André <jean-christophe.andre at auf.org>:
> Phuong Vo a écrit :
>> Link: http://www.gnome.org/~michael/blog/ooo-commit-stats-2008.html
>> (via slashdot)
>>
>> At the end of the post he point to go-oo, which is a forked version
>> of OO.o with community patch.
> BTW, FYI, the OO.o version provided in Debian, and so Ubuntu, has most
> of the Go-OO patches applied.
>
>> Another interesting office suite would be KOffice, though it is not
>> realy completed yet.
> And I wonder if it will be some day or not...
>
> Personnally I avoid using the K* familly because they are too buggy...
> They have a lot of interesting functionnalities, but the most important
> one is lacking: stability (and so data security is lacking too).
>
> It's sad, because for example Konqueror is really good at being MS-IE's
> buggy implementation compliant, good enough to be able to browse those
> buggy web sites conforming to MS-IE and not to the W3C standards!
>
> --
> Jean Christophe "プログフ" ANDRÉ   — ✧ —   Responsable technique régional
> Bureau Asie-Pacifique (BAP)    — ✧ —   http://www.asie-pacifique.auf.org/
> Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AuF)  — ✧ —  http://www.auf.org/
> Adresse postale : AUF, 21 Lê Thánh Tông, T.T. Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội, Việt Nam
> Tél. : +84 4 9331108  ✦  Fax : +84 4 8247383  ✦  Cellul. : +84 91 3248747
> ⎧ Note personnelle: merci d'éviter de m'envoyer des fichiers PowerPoint ⎫
> ⎩ ou Word, cf http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.fr.html
A little bit offtopic, I often try KDE programs whenever there is a
new version come out, but after playing with them for a while, I have
to go back to GNOME. While it has some very interesting
feature/design, it is often not stable enough for daily use, and it
has some design problem , for example I find that I often have to
maximize windows in KDE, while I don't have to do that in GNOME.

Oh, and to make thing clear, I was talking about KDE 4, which is
considered unstable for now, KDE 3 is fine, but it is getting old.
Really, I love KDE, but I can't live with it, now I understand what
people mean when they say they love someone, but they can't married
them ;)

--
Totally free from the burden of restricted electronic device that
violate my precious personal privacy, or in other words, lost my

Freedom as in 'no mobile phone' ;)